[fedora-india] Fedora India budget FY 16-17

Amit Shah amitshah at gmx.net
Mon Nov 30 12:06:38 UTC 2015

On (Mon) 30 Nov 2015 [11:49:35], P J P wrote:
> Hello Amit,
>
> > On Monday, 30 November 2015 1:41 PM, Amit Shah wrote:
> > Unfortunately this exercise is late - the date for presenting the
> > regional budget to the council is Oct; so please ensure next year
> > onwards we wrap up this activity by September.  In all likelihood, we
> > will receive a budget equivalent to what we received last year.
>
>     I see. Wasn't it notified to before? Why did we miss it?

There has been some confusion around this.  The EMEA folks even
cancelled their FAD because it was late (well, that was one of the
reasons, there were other reasons too).  I haven't seen where it's
spelled out what the deadline for presenting budgets is, but I saw the
discussions on council-list about this.

> > We also don't spend as much amount we say we will spend.  That means
> > we're either not good at budgeting / planning activities or not good
> > at executing plans.  This is a concern the council has brought up (on
> > the council list); so please discuss this point.
>
>    Right, noted.
>
> > Also: not all the activities listed on the etherpad come from the
> > regional budget; e.g. FAD expenses come from a different head.  Of
> > course, we can use a part of the regional budget to supplement the FAD
> > budget, but it's important to know the difference in there.
>
>    Is there a document which lists these different heads and
> corresponding differences?

Don't know; this is just from reading various lists over the past few
months.

> > Also, at least for the last two years, FUDCon budget has been added to
> > the regional budget.  So add something like $10,000 - $15,000 for the
> > FUDCon to the final budget that's approved.  That will mean the
> > remaining ~10,000 - 15,000 (based on previous years) will be available
> > for regional activities.
>
>   Ie. Additional 10 - 15K, other than the planned budget here?

In a way.  This is just the way accounting works.  Earlier, FUDCons
had a separate budget of their own.  But now the two FUDCon budgets
are put under the regional head.

So if we get granted a total budget of USD 25,000 for the year, it
includes everything -- including FUDCon.

Alternatively, if we come up with a budget for USD 10,000 at the FAD
for various regional activities, we should add about USD 10,000 for a
FUDCon and present a budget of USD 20,000.

Hope this makes sense.

> > Also, last year the event list was a wishlist.  If possible, avoid
> > getting into the same trap and come up with a list of events that we
> > will surely spend money on.  That'll help with the point above on us
> > not spending as much as we promise.  If we get a concise, concrete
> > list of events this time,
>
> Well, that is the intention of this thread. So individual volunteers and
> ambassadors need to speak up and raise their voices. I alone could not
> decide such a list.

Yep.  Indian ambassadors can speak up on this list, but I'm not sure
how well prepared the other ambassadors will be.  Maybe you can bring
it up on the ambassadors list to ensure you don't waste much time
explaining this / preparing others when you meet.

		Amit
--
http://log.amitshah.net/