[fedora-india] Fedora India budget FY 16-17

Aditya Patawari adimania at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 12:17:34 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 5:19 PM, P J P <pjp at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hello Amit,
>
>> On Monday, 30 November 2015 1:41 PM, Amit Shah wrote:
>> Unfortunately this exercise is late - the date for presenting the
>> regional budget to the council is Oct; so please ensure next year
>> onwards we wrap up this activity by September.  In all likelihood, we
>> will receive a budget equivalent to what we received last year.
>
>     I see. Wasn't it notified to before? Why did we miss it?
>
>> We also don't spend as much amount we say we will spend.  That means
>> we're either not good at budgeting / planning activities or not good
>> at executing plans.  This is a concern the council has brought up (on
>> the council list); so please discuss this point.
>
>    Right, noted.
>
>> Also: not all the activities listed on the etherpad come from the
>> regional budget; e.g. FAD expenses come from a different head.  Of
>> course, we can use a part of the regional budget to supplement the FAD
>> budget, but it's important to know the difference in there.
>
>    Is there a document which lists these different heads and
> corresponding differences?
>
>> Also, at least for the last two years, FUDCon budget has been added to
>> the regional budget.  So add something like $10,000 - $15,000 for the
>> FUDCon to the final budget that's approved.  That will mean the
>> remaining ~10,000 - 15,000 (based on previous years) will be available
>> for regional activities.
>
>   Ie. Additional 10 - 15K, other than the planned budget here?
>
>> Also, last year the event list was a wishlist.  If possible, avoid
>> getting into the same trap and come up with a list of events that we
>> will surely spend money on.  That'll help with the point above on us
>> not spending as much as we promise.  If we get a concise, concrete
>> list of events this time,
>
> Well, that is the intention of this thread. So individual volunteers and
> ambassadors need to speak up and raise their voices. I alone could not
> decide such a list.
Well, one problem I had due to "wishlist" is that, after Flock
organizers decided to cut off APAC and LATAM, we had no way to reach
Flock due to lack of budget. The amount that, we thought, would come
out of regional budget was not confirmed because it was just a
wishlist. So having clarity there would be helpful for events like
Flock and many others.

On the same note, I have gone through the piratepad. It reflects what
we want to do in India. What do I do about global things/events, like
flock, that we want to participate? Is there a wiki or pad to put the
amount?