[Fedora-infrastructure-list] fp.org email addresses coming up as spam

Jeffrey Tadlock linux at elfshadow.net
Wed Aug 23 21:25:40 UTC 2006

Max Spevack wrote:
> Anyone else seen complaints of things like this?  I have my settings
> quite low, and we're still getting flagged.
>
>  2.7 HELO_DYNAMIC_DHCP      Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname (DHCP)
>  3.3 HELO_DYNAMIC_HCC       Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname (HCC)
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=HELO_DYNAMIC_DHCP
>
> Thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who's interested in doing
> some digging, see under what circumstances fp.o emails are triggering
> these flags.

The fedoraproject.org addresses are forwarding only.  When someone sends
an email from their fedoraproject.org account they are really setting
the From/Reply To address in their email client to have replies sent
back to their @fedoraproject.org address (which forwards to the email
address they have setup in the Fedora Accounts System).  They continue
to use their own SMTP servers for the actual sending of the email.
Their own SMTP servers used for sending email could potentially trigger
spam filter flags.

In this case it looks like the sender possibly sent the email from a
server hosted on dynamic IP range (possibly a small home server or small
business) and that is what triggered the spamassassin flags.

--Jeffrey