[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Infrastructure Package Management

Ryan Ordway ryan.ordway at oregonstate.edu
Fri Aug 25 17:27:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 19:05 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On 8/24/06, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:
> > > >
> > > Some things like python had major version upgrades between fc3 and fc5.
> > > At minimum, we would have to rebuild the fc5 packages on fc3 to account
> > > for this.  Some fc5 packages won't function with the older version at
> > > all (such as bzr).
> >
> > true. But the first thing to get a handle on is what we need to be
> > taking care of.

> > > I can help maintain a branch for things we're working with in
> > > infrastructure.  I don't run RHEL or Centos here, though.
> >
> > we have configs for mock for centos.
> >
> > So you can easily build the package in there. I build some almost
> > everyday.
> >

> > -sv
>
> I'll go ahead and ask the question.  If I proposed a Fedora Project
> called Fedora Enterprise or Fedora Enterprise Extras who here would
> help me maintain it?

I can help. I run both RHEL 4 and CentOS 4 on x86 and soon on amd64.

> We could then merge Z00dax's current infrastructure and work with some
> of Fedora's stuff.  With quaid's help we might get some support/buy-in
> from inside Red Hat.  Operating completely independently of Extras or
> with them.  Perhaps one of the branch requests could be "RHEL4" or
> "FEE4".  (I'm not sure about how RH would feel about Fedora producing
> RH branded packages).  We can open it up to extras maintainers and
> follow the same lifecycle of whatever branch we're creating.  I'd be
> happy to write up some guidelines do the administrative tasks and all
> the overhead that would come along with a project like this.  I'm not
> kidding myself, this is a lot of work but, IMHO, I think there's a
> real market out there not just inside of the FP Infrastructure.

Hell yeah, I would love to be able to get "extras" for RHEL and CentOS.
And I'm sure there are boatloads of other people that would as well.

Ryan

Ryan Ordway                        E-mail: ryan.ordway at oregonstate.edu
Unix Systems Administrator             rordway at library.oregonstate.edu
Oregon State University Libraries
121 The Valley Library             Office: The Valley Library #4657
Corvallis, OR 97331                Desk Phone: 541.737.8972