TurboGears and version control

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Mon Dec 18 05:20:44 UTC 2006

Mike McGrath wrote:
> So many of us have started using TurboGears for Fedora infrastructure
> projects.  My question is how should we be version controlling the
> source?  Do we check in the entire project or just the related kid
> templates, configs, controller files, etc.  When you create a project
> with one version of TurboGears does it work with other versions?  How
> do we prevent mismatches?

The projects don't actually contain TurboGears, or any other associated
module.  The default `tg-admin quickstart` provides the controllers,
model, and configuration for dealing with all of the pieces that make up
TurboGears.  Pythons egg entry-points then make it dead simple to
replace/plugin a variety of different modules in your project (like
replaceing kid with Cheetah, SQLObject with SQLAlchemy).

When newer versions contain configuration/api changes, TurboGears
provides `tg-admin update`[0], which will update your project
configuration for you.

luke

[0]: http://www.turbogears.org/download/upgrade.html