puppet overview - pros and cons

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Dec 23 02:25:04 UTC 2006

Thanks for the puppet overview. Maybe we should create a wiki page
with a product/feature matrix?

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 04:17:45PM -0800, David Lutterkort wrote:

> PROS
> ----

>               * Override mechanism for classes to allow for simple
>                 one-off (or hundred-off) tweaks, e.g. to take webserver
>                 class from above but use with different httpd.conf

That's nice.

>       * Tie-in with kickstart: provision basic system with ks (including
>         puppet client), complete config with puppet [4]

That, of course, defeats lots of the security items, but there is no
otherway. One just needs to be aware of that.

What about diffing support, e.g. compare what's there and what we'd
like it to become, kind of a dry-run session to check deviations
between spec and reality?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net