cfengine overview - pros and cons

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Sun Dec 24 05:15:41 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 21:45 -0600, David Douthitt wrote:
> The other mentioned "one-off" pro for puppet is a cfengine FAQ, but the
> usual answer is: don't create "one-off" syntax settings; define the
> *state* to be attained and let the system maintain the state.

I don't understand ... is that in reference to my remark about overrides
and how they are useful to modify a standard set of configs ? When you
override, you still specify the desired state; and syntactically it's
not 'one-off' - it's just useful when you have to deal with sth that is
the same across most machines, and you need a way to tweak that config
for a few machines that need some small changes.

David