Web torture results

Elliot Lee sopwith at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 03:04:32 UTC 2006

Hey Ahmed,

It's neat to see these results! A few comments:

I don't see anywhere where variables such as the file size, request
size, HTTP pipelining, etc. are taken into account. Optimally, the
test would have cases that exercise points along all these
dimensions. E.g. a load test of serving an empty file would help us
understand what the absolute best case performance is within the
constraints the current systems.

The other thing that'd be useful to have is a well-defined capacity
goal that helps everyone understand where things ought to be. For a
straw-man example, let's say 20 home page loads/second, including all
associated image/CSS/JS files, by logged-in users. I don't know what
the actual needs are, but a look at the web logs during the FC6
release should help.

 From what's mentioned below, I also didn't quite understand whether
squid was sitting in front of apache serving straight HTML/PNG/CSS,
or whether it was moinmoin that contained all the content. Hopefully
that's just something I missed in an earlier message.

My current favorite treatise on optimizing overall web performance -
http://www.die.net/musings/page_load_time/

Hope this helps,
-- Elliot