[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Database for Account System 2

Tom Lynema lyz27 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 16 17:14:47 UTC 2006

> I would love to see an LDAP+SQL solution that gives us a familiar SQL backend
> with an LDAP client interface.  It might take a little work to make that
> happen, but it might well be worth it.  Many of the solutions we are
> currently using support LDAP, while many of us are more familiar with SQL and
> current Account System services are SQL-enabled.  It seems to me that if we
> don't figure out a solution for LDAP+SQL, we'll end up spending a lot of time
> making different solutions work with the technology we choose.
>
> --
> Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
> nman64 at n-man.com

I would like to see an SQL backend with an API pointing into it, similar
to what Amazon.com is doing.
Benefits:
SSL access
The API will act as a layer between the database and the calling
application instead of just allowing access to the data.  This could be
used to help protect security and privacy.
3rd parties could use the API to make their own extensions of the system
Pitfalls:
Do we want everyone to have access to the API?  This may result in abuse
of the data.

-tom