[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Database for Account System 2

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Mon Jul 17 16:04:33 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 17:32 -0600, Jonathan Steffan wrote:
> Fedora Directory Server supports TLS and SSL. So does openldap. I think
> an API built on top of LDAP would have more abilities. Does PGSQL
> support slave servers and replication?

There are two good projects, slony-i_ and pg-cluster, that support
master-slave replication and multi-master replication respectively.  I
haven't used either but Curt Moore mentioned he uses slony-i during one
of the IRC meetings.

slony-i_ http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay.php
pg-cluster_ http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgcluster/

I think we're going to be doing a lot of programming against the backend
no matter what so I want to know what LDAP offers to me as a developer
of web applications.

- python-ldap seems to be the python bridge to ldap.  Arethere
alternatives or is this the way to go?

- Can we update the LDAP schema easily when we decide we need to take
more information?  (We need to start retinal scans for security or want
to have hackergotchi to make the entries more personalized in the
future.)

- SQL has grant and revoke to assign users privileges on individual
database tables.  Does LDAP have similar?  (I find I use SQL's
separation of select, update, and insert as well.  I don't know if we'd
need more than read-write vs read-only for the account db but is it
possible to separate all of these independently?)

- SQL and python have SQLObject to make python objects backed by SQL db
storage very easy.  I don't know if we want this for the accounts db
(security may not be fine-grained enough)

- I enjoy postgresql's ability to constrain data via foreign keys,
regexps, etc.  Does LDAP allow the same type of things in its schemas?

-Toshio