[Fedora-infrastructure-list] New package version control

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Fri Jun 30 17:38:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 22:55 -0500, David Eisenstein wrote:
> Hi Toshio!
>
> Is there any interest in including Fedora Legacy in this process?  We,
> too, are moving to using CVS or some kind of package versioning system
> in our maintenance work with Fedora Legacy packages.

Greetings David,

Warren was the initial person pulling together ideas for this and is
probably still the man in the know for policy decisions.

Jesse has been listening in from time to time as well, though, so he
might already have had a say on how Legacy works in with this.

One of the questions I had was whether this VCS would just be for Extras
or would include Core as well.  It is definitely for Core + Extras (One
of the reasons that enhanced ACLs are important here).  So I think it's
sensible for Legacy to be a part of this as well.

> Are you planning on having the main discussion about these VC Systems
> in the Fedora-Maintainers list?

I was planning on having the discussion on infrastructure list as it
seemed to be a project already underway and handed over to
infrastructure to write a few prototypes and get a feel for how the
different version control systems mapped to our requirements.  If
there's more requirements to be defined then I suppose it should be
discussed with a broader audience.  warren would be a better person to
discuss that portion, though.

It's also possible to write the prototypes based on the present
requirements and then ask for additional feedback as to what more is
needed.

-Toshio

Note: I'm about to go MIA for half a week because we've bought a house
and are moving between tonight and July Fifth.