dist-git status

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 15 13:24:10 UTC 2006

I've finally been able to convert all extras package modules/branches (from
FC3 and up) to git, much in the same layout as dist-hg (each release "branch"
being its own standalone repo (complete with inherited history from devel/
branch at split time))

I haven't yet started modifying Makefiles and plague to handle getting a
checkout of a package from a tag and building it.  That will probably come
next week.

Some interesting comparisons:

Time to convert from CVS to GIT:
real    556m51.452s
user    32m36.370s
sys     68m29.753s

Time to convert from CVS to HG:
real    155m0.948s
user    84m18.080s
sys     41m5.246s

Size of dist-git (with full repack -a -d):
3.9G    /srv/git/extras

Size of dist-hg (no extra processing):
1.8G    /srv/hg/extras

None of the above are really deciding factors in what to use, just some
interesting anecdotal observations.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora