Package DB Update

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 21:16:28 UTC 2006

For those that missed today's IRC meeting, here's a brief package DB
update.

There was a lot of talk at the Fedora Summit about things that directly
impact Infrastructure.  One of the changes is that the buildsys and
package DB need to be pushed forward in order to enable the Core +
Extras merge.  From the information given at the summit, I think we're
going to have to do some revising of the PackageDB schema to make it
handle the data that the release team will need.

Since I almost have an importer for the current Extras owners.list and
cvs modules information, my plan is to go ahead with creating the
packageDB with its current schema and then have Jesse Keating and others
look at it and tell me what things need to be added (where to tie in
buildsystem ACLs, how to enable inheritance of collections, etc).  I'm
going to try to finish the initial work between now and Monday night so
that Jesse can begin looking at it early next week.

At that time we should also have enough of a base that we can start
recruiting people to work on individual aspects of this project.  Off
the top of my head, I think we can use:
 * one or two web designers to either mockup or directly write "kid
templates" for the web front end to the DB.
 * Some people to write importers for other information that should go
into the db (for instance, Christian is working on importing the package
review ticket information into the database.)

== Tie in's with our Other Infrastructure Projects ==
 * Some people who have an interest in the buildsystem to think of how
we'd like to interface the packageDB to the buildsys.  What information
do we want to keep track of from it?  What things do we want to kick off
from the packageDB?  Note that we may be using plague in the next
generation buildsystem or we may be using a brew hybrid.  This hasn't
been decided yet.
 * The next generation account system is coming along.  We need to
decide if we're going to port the python APIs from the old account
system over to the new one or write a new python API.  Then the code has
to be written to enable this and we have to port the packageDB code to
any changes that were made.

-Toshio