OpenSUSE Build Service?

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Mon Nov 20 03:45:42 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 18:28 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> Having already written most of Plague by the time OSBS came out, I read
> over pretty much everything about it when it was announced last year.
>
> The purpose of the two do seem to overlap; however OSBS appears to have
> a much larger scope.  It appears to try to be the one-stop shop for
> building _everything_ for any distribution with any build system or
> source-control system; which is fine.  The pitch in those slides was
> basically "build your release packages on our buildsystem."
>
> I don't think we want such a wide scope and fuzzy focus.  I think Fedora
> is better served by a specific, targetted system that builds _Fedora_
> packages.  That's a fairly parochial attitude, but one which I think is
> in the best interest of Fedora.  Given that everyone working on and
> admining the Fedora Extras buildsystem is a volunteer, we don't need to
> be spreading our resources out even further supporting something like
> the OSBS.  We should be concentrating on building excellent packages for
> Fedora, and arguably nothing else; we cannot be everything to everybody
> or we are doomed to fail.
>
> The building of packages is such an important and code piece of a
> distribution that it cannot _not_ be under the control of the project,
> and it cannot _not_ be _accountable_ to the project.  As more of the
> Core responsibility gets spun out to the wider Fedora project, this only
> becomes more critical.  We need to be able to admin the systems, we need
> to be able fix problems when they arise, we need to be able to
> demonstrate accountability and security of the buildsystem.  Without
> that, there is no trust in the integrity of the distribution.

I agree with Dan's assessment. Furthermore, he's done a great job giving
fedora a buildsystem and we should continue to enhance it.

Additionally, it might be starting to be a good time to be afraid of
things with Novell's copyright over them. We'll never know what patents
we might be treading upon and only allowed to use provided we're not
with a company.

-sv