Hooking into account system for web auth

Elliot Lee sopwith at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 23:43:21 UTC 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Sunday 19 November 2006 21:31, Elliot Lee wrote:
>> FWIW, a final implementation would optimally be a little more
>> complicated than this:
>>         . It should only give access to people whose accounts are in
>> 'approved' status (not many aren't, but still...)
>>         . It should only give access to people who have approved
>> access in
>> a   particular group (e.g. 'tracusers' in this case)
>>         so that we can use the account system to authorize users...
>
> I think this sounds pretty sane.  Getting approved for trac should
> be as
> simple as having the CLA complete, or something similar.  I think
> its a good
> policy discussion to see if we want to involve the CLA for project
> hosting.
> I know its stifled some of the work in Kadischi according to some
> of the
> users that would like to contribute but don't want to go down the
> CLA route.
> Also Trac can be used pretty easily in anonymous mode.

Thinking about it some more (now that I realized it's in the context
of hosting projects) - you're going to want to have a separate
account system group for each hosted project.

I don't know whether it's the CLA or something else, but you should
work with RH Legal to make sure that there is some sort of legal
agreement in place between the project contributors and Red Hat to
define the relationship.

Best,
-- Elliot