[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Re: Infrastructure Officers and team goals

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Oct 6 19:46:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 12:04:25 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 06:22 -0400, Sam Folk-Williams wrote:
>
> > To be consistent with other groups (Docs/Ambassadors, etc) you may want
> > to have people vote for these positions rather than appointing them.
> >
> Not sure about voting.  Ambassadors and FESCo have only started to vote
> on their positions this past year after having a while to create a sense
> of what roles the elected body is supposed to perform.  These positions
> are also different than FESCo and Ambassadors in that it isn't an
> election of a body of people -- it's an election to individual
> positions.  This is the difference between elections for the city
> council and elections for sheriff, treasurer, and mayor.  For these
> specialized positions you want someone who is familiar with the issues
> that will be facing them in that job as they will be the go-to person
> when problems crop up in those areas.
>
> Which isn't to say that voters couldn't do a good job of picking people
> with the right skills and knowledge here either.  But I think we lack
> one other criteria for good elections: voters.  Currently we only have
> 31 people listed in the sysadmin groups so it's somewhat silly to hold
> elections for seven positions at this point.  I think a simple
> confirmation/discussion will better serve us at this time.

Prior to filling positions with people and titles, it would be better to
define the obligations, responsibilities, and the work-flow for each of
these positions.

Like "What exactly does the Build System/Package Manager [X] do? How does he
differ from other contributors within the Infrastructure Group? What
do you--i.e. a contributor or person within the Infrastructure Group--need
him for instead of the list?"   [X] insert other position titles here

Especially for people outside the Infrastructure Group or even outside the
Fedora Project, such information about the structure of parts of the
project is important.