[Fedora-infrastructure-list] release days docs/instructions/faq

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Oct 24 21:09:24 UTC 2006

Hey guys,
 So some of you have heard that the load from today was pretty close to
crippling for a while. We got it under 'control' for a bit but it wasn't
happy. Mike suggested making some of our pages in the wiki static so we
pulled them out using firefox and then put them onto the site using
apache redirects. That worked out okay to bring the load down. We're
still get beaten pretty badly but at least the load is manageable.

Let's assume for now that the next N releases will be just like this.
That the world will melt down. I think we should probably put together
some docs on what steps to take. Here are some items we did today:

1. iptables rate limiting on fpserv: 2-4 new connection per ip for every
10-20 seconds.

2. look at the logs, figure out where all the hits are going and make
those pages static. You can do this by using firefox to save the page
(it grabs images and css, too)

3. turn off any unnecessary bits: zope (if its not being used, rsyncd)

4. trim out your log outputs. Decrease the number of things writing out
to disk anywhere

5. get comfortable with /etc/init.d/httpd restart - just to get the load
back under control

What else should we be adding?

-sv