[Fedora-infrastructure-list] release days docs/instructions/faq

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Oct 24 21:52:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 17:19 -0400, Stacy J. Brandenburg wrote:

> Add HW.
>
> You need a dedicated load balanced env if you want to ever run the
> primary bits.  We have 5 Dell servers for PRX, 4 APP that fell over.  On
> top of that the Load Balancers died one time due to load - and we were
> not even serving pages, just redirects!
>
> These are Cisco CSM blades that failed today.  Not small Load Balancers.
>
> Probably need to define well, the roles people will play for
> administration, so that you do not have a free for all.  Maybe even
> shifts of people so Seth can take a shower or get food :)

Here's what we talked about on IRC:

1. get the websites and docs people to split out a structure in the wiki
that is the final release lay out. This will be frozen N days prior to
release and static pages will be generated. This static content will be
fedoraproject.org/

2. the static content will get mirrored to a new set of mirrors in the
world that we will recruit people into. These will be simple http-only
mirrors.

3. fedoraproject.org can be globally load balanced using (more or less)
dns round robin (more robust mechanisms are welcome)

4. we make the wiki server multiple and redundant by making use of
multiple machines.

So that would mean we get:
 1. more capacity for the wiki server
 2. global capacity for the front page and key pages for a release
 3. network/site redundancy.

-sv