[Fedora-infrastructure-list] release days docs/instructions/faq

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 24 21:59:31 UTC 2006

On 10/24/06, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 17:19 -0400, Stacy J. Brandenburg wrote:
> Here's what we talked about on IRC:

I agree with this in theory, implementation will be complex though.

> 1. get the websites and docs people to split out a structure in the wiki
> that is the final release lay out. This will be frozen N days prior to
> release and static pages will be generated. This static content will be
> fedoraproject.org/

+1

> 2. the static content will get mirrored to a new set of mirrors in the
> world that we will recruit people into. These will be simple http-only
> mirrors.

if its our infrastructure it might be a good idea to do a nightly sync
of the actual fp.o wiki incase the main server goes down.

> 3. fedoraproject.org can be globally load balanced using (more or less)
> dns round robin (more robust mechanisms are welcome)

I don't know of any good way to do this.

> 4. we make the wiki server multiple and redundant by making use of
> multiple machines.
>

> So that would mean we get:
>  1. more capacity for the wiki server
>  2. global capacity for the front page and key pages for a release
>  3. network/site redundancy.
>

> -sv

I'm wondering if we could just request some budget from max and the RH
folks to grab some public mirrors during release time.  I mean,
digg.com has a dugmirrors site for hosts they DDOS, I believe other
such services exist as well.  I'm just trying to think of the easiest
solution for our needs.  It'd be nice to just say:

1. Freeze the wiki
2. sync the mirrors
3. cross fingers
4. enjoy the FC7 release instead of working all day :)

             -Mike