[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Fwd: Re: wow.. why mirror?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Oct 25 23:19:02 UTC 2006

This was sent to our mirror discussion list.

Subject: Re: wow.. why mirror?
Date: Wednesday 25 October 2006 19:11
From: Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 16:20, Paul Hall wrote:
> I'm wondering this very question too. Our site isn't even showing up on the
> list of mirrors and on the other list of mirrors isn't listed correctly. We
> haven't seen *any* traffic for core 6 since its release. I'm trying to
> decide if theres any reason for us to continue to be a mirror and dedicate
> resources to this.

The job of managing mirrors fell onto me when I joined Red Hat.  Dumped is
probably a better term.  The way mirrors were handled is pretty sad, there
are _lots_ of files to edit, and a huge amount of duplicated data.  Also
there is no way for mirrors to make updates themselves or add / remove
themselves.  It's all done via email and CVS.

I had requested some help in the Fedora community managing these mirrors and
 I got some initially, however that help seems to have dried up and I'm left
 to handle it all myself again.  As you can expect, I was a bit busy the last
 couple days, and will continue to be for a while.  Noticing that your mirror
 isn't listed the day or so of the release isn't great, as I'm not going to
 be able to get to it.

Add to this the fact that redhat.com was getting attacked, and
fedora.redhat.com is where the mirror source files lived.  SO while I could
change it in CVS, I would _then_ have to change it in at least 2 other places
for our emergency static listings.  This is by far not optimal especially on
days when I have 0 extra time.

Where do we go from here?  We obviously need a way for mirror admins to
 manage their own mirror listings, and a way to submit mirror data to ONE
 source, and that source would be used to generate URLs to the various bits
 under fedora/core or fedora/extras.  Nothing should change from that point
 lower anyway.  Now that we have methods to verify mirrors are up to date,
 and sort by geoip, all we really need is your base URL(s).  Lets see if we
 can get this done before the next Fedora test release.

How can you help?  See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure for
information on how to contact our infrastructure team and help on the mirror
management project.

Until we get such a system up, I'm not all that interested in continuing to
make fine tunes to the multitude of mirror files we have scattered around.
Lets clean it up by moving to a new system.

And yes, we deeply appreciate any and all mirrors.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora

Jesse Keating