[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Log Monitoring volunteer

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 8 16:40:24 UTC 2006

On 9/8/06, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 18:08 +0300, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >     I am a volunteer. I would like to start wetting my hands with a
> > priority 2 project. I am interested in the log monitoring project. I'm
> > not sure how I can be helpful though, especially that such a project
> > does not yet have a project lead! Unfortunately my Internet
> > connectivity will be a little flaky during the next 6 days (as I'm
> > travelling) nevertheless, I will try to keep a regular eye on the
> > mailing list.
> >
> > Kindly let me know how I can start to get involved (I already have an
> > account)
> > Thanks and Best Regards
>
> we need two items setup, from my perspective:
>
> 1. epylog setup on the syslog server to handle all of our hosts together
> 2. awstats setup and logs rsync'd over from webservers for web log
> analysis.
>    - if you need help on this one let me know - there's some easy ways
> to make log
>      rsync'ing reasonable.
>
> -sv

I actually do have awstats running on fpserv though at present not
available to the public.  (I don't trust awstats)  Since fpserv
doesn't have direct access to the accounting system we either have to
proxypass from the phx servers or figure out how to get the usernames
and passwords over to fpserv.

             -Mike