Moin question

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Apr 5 14:57:01 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 09:51 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> One way we could see immediate performance gain on the wiki is to delete
> old users.  I would like permission from both teams to do delete all
> users who
>
> A) aren't in the edit group
> B) aren't watching any pages
>
> Presently there's 9,900 accounts on there.  Only 600 of which are
> actually in the edit group.  Since having an account, without edit or
> watching abilities is basically useless I'd like to just get rid of
> those accounts.  Nothing would prevent those people from signing up
> again if they chose to do so.
>
> This is kind of a drastic measure, I realize, but I think its needed.

Thoughts are:

* When we move to the click-through CLA, would we be able to force the
9300 users to click-through?

* Would we want to?  That would encourage people to agree to something
without knowing about it.

* So, if we are never going to push a click-through on those accounts,
they will have to be re-created anyway for a user to actually gain edit
privs.

* However, many people probably signed up thinking they could edit, then
learned they couldn't.

* People might be pissed if they got vaporized without some word about
it.

Therefore ....

1. Send an announcement (f-announce-l) that we are doing an account
audit and cleaning:
  * All account without watches and/or edit privs will be removed
  * The UserName shall be purged, so it is available again later
  * Link to page with more explanation.
2. Can we post for ... 24 hours?  48 hours? a short announcement
everywhere on the Wiki?  Change the theme or something so there is a
notice that points to a page explaining the above.

Otherwise, sounds like a wise idea to me.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project