Ambassador Aliases

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 16:59:44 UTC 2007

So the firstname.lastname removal has been done and went fairly well
with one exception.  Many of the ambassadors use firstname.lastname when
dealing with other people.  They like a good, professional looking email
address.  Unfortunately, not everyone thinks of this when they're
creating their account name and trying to be an ambassador with
fluffyone23 at fedoraproject.org may cause issues.

I've added a few exceptions but I really don't want our group
maintaining this list.  We're not in the business of user
administration, that always gets delegated to the specific group
owners/admins.  This puts us in an awkward position because of the
sensitive nature of the alises file we can't just let everyone edit this
file.  Here's what I'd like to propose:

Thomas Chung has offered to maintain this list for the ambassadors.
Since its a manual intervention we're not as open to attack/collisions
as we were when it was automated.  We'll continue to use CVS so we get
notifications when a change goes out.  Additionally I've given the
following guidelines to Thomas should we chose to go this route:

* All alises for the ambassadors must be firstname.lastname at fp.o
* Exceptions are made by Thomas Chung for the ambassadors only.  He has
the final say as to whether someone is eligible for the alias
* Careful precautions must be made to not cause collisions. (This would
include looking out for suspicious aliases like
senior.admin at fedoraproject.org

Does anyone have any issues / concerns with this?

    -Mike