Introduction

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 21:32:39 UTC 2007

Jima wrote:
>  Hi folks!
>
>  As per the "Getting Started" walkthrough, I thought I'd spam you guys
> with a brief rundown of who I am, although I'm sure a number of you
> already know.
>  My name is Patrick Laughton, although most people who know me call me
> Jima (yes, IRL, too).  I hail from the Great White North --
> Minneapolis, MN, or thereabouts.  (That's in the Central US time zone,
> CDT/GMT-5.) I've been maintaining Linux boxen for maybe ten years,
> seven of those professionally.  I started out with Slackware (how's
> that for cutting your teeth?), but long ago moved to Red Hat, and then
> Fedora.
>
>  Like many in Fedora Packager Land, I got started because as a
> sysadmin, there were often packages I needed that weren't otherwise
> easily available.  So I packaged what I needed, threw them in a
> repository, and went on my merry way.  What a pain.
>  I joined Fedora Extras about 16 months ago to offset some of that
> heavy lifting.  In addition to making sure everything I needed was in
> Fedora, I took on some orphaned packages, and generally looked for
> other ways I could help out the project.  That's what brings me to
> Infrastructure; to see if any of my possibly mediocre skills as a
> sysadmin might in some way benefit the bigger picture.
>
>  I'll be up-front: I'm not a programmer.  I can't code worth crap.  I
> know a little C (not C++), my perl talents are decent (if sloppy and
> roundabout), but I can shell script like mad.
>  I'm fairly comfortable with Apache, BIND, dnsmasq, Exim, OpenSSH,
> Postfix, and Sendmail.  Okay, if it's a daemon, I'm probably not too
> bad with it.  I've played with Nagios and MRTG on and off over the
> years, as well.  More recently (in the last year or so) I've gotten
> fairly good at working with Xen.  Not KVM, sadly, due to my general
> lack of machines with hardware virtualization capabilities.
>  My SCM, database, and clustering skills leave a lot to be desired,
> mainly because I haven't had any real use for them in my job.  Also,
> I'm entirely useless at design, unless you like plain, unformatted
> text, and stick figures.  Anything HTML is liable to be compliant,
> just ugly and/or boring.
>
>  I don't have any specific goals in mind for getting into
> Infrastructure; as I said, I'd be happy to help out with anything that
> could use some extra hands.
>
>  I think that pretty well covers things.  Geez, I should have just
> updated my resume; it might have been easier, if a little more
> glossed-over.
>  Have a nice day.

Jima who?  :)  Make sure you can come to the meetings in #fedora-meeting
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Meetings)  Also take a
look at https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/fedora-infrastructure/
and see if there's anything in particular you're interested in.  If not
we can always use scripting help with our current scripts and future stuff.

    -Mike