Request for monotone

Michael Stahnke mastahnke at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 06:10:53 UTC 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 11:24 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > On Dec 12, 2007 9:22 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> AFAIK we don't actually offer CVS for hosted projects.  Trac doesn't
> >> support it, and our first rule should be "Do No Harm"  (:
> >>

> > I thought the first rule was "Be Evil" and then "Do More Harm". I mean
> > we should be supporting RCS (it works great over SSH) and SCCS.
> >

> I have to admit I am worried about slippery slope.  I'd hate to support
> a VCS that only has 2 or 3 repos on it.  Especially if its not one we
> have in-house expertise with.
>
>     -Mike

I tend to think if you can't use one of the vc systems already
provided, you need specialty hosting and with that, probably a lot of
care and feeding.  We are already offering the most common SCMs in use
(except CVS ^^ see above).  Always saying 'yes' and allowing new
things to pop up is not maintainable in the long term.  I am actually
surprised we offer as many SCMs as we do.

stahnma