Request for monotone

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 17:08:29 UTC 2007

Paulo Santos said the following on 12/13/2007 01:15 AM Pacific Time:
> I tend to agree with stahnma. Currently we already offer the most common
> SCMs, and from what i can see no one has really good knowledge with
> monotone, which may be a problem regarding some future
> troubleshooting/administration/whatever.
> If we still think that monotone, would be a good addition though, we
> could always send some emails and see what would be the acceptance of it
> and the number of projects to be created.
>
> For now i would say no to monotone, since we don't have the in-house
> expertise, and any relevant data on how many projects  would be actually
> using it.
>

> Paulo

Can someone put forth a strong argument as to why monotone provides
better functionality than the existing 4 choices?  Otherwise I think we
have done our due diligence by providing freedom to projects *choose* a
  SCM from the supported list which includes most of the currently
widely used SCMs.

Having too many choices isn't always a good thing.  One of many links I
found on google: http://www.apa.org/monitor/jun04/toomany.html

John