Search domains in our environment (Proposal)

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 23:06:43 UTC 2007

Mike McGrath wrote:
> Comments?  +1's?  -1's?  I'm basically going for ease of use among the
> admins and since most people "ssh puppet1" instead of "ssh
> puppet1.fedora.phx.redhat.com" I think in our diverse environment it
> will be worth it and is easier then hosting a separate DNS server in
> each of our locations.

I forgot to mention one other concern.  A MitM attack or DNS poisoning.
This possibility does exist, but exists in our environment as is
anyway.  This is something we should look at mitigating but other than
running a DNS server at every site, I'm not totally sure how to fix it.
I consider all of our donations as partnerships.  After all, they have
local access to the box.  At the same time though it is something we
should count as a risk and mitigate as much as possible.

    -Mike