Account System Design Work (was Re: Infrastructure Design - Look & Feel)

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Sat Feb 17 21:50:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 03:59:42PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 14:40 -0500, Will Woods wrote:
> > Also - and may be bit off-topic - I'd love for new users to get Mugshot
> > accounts along with their bugzilla/wiki/etc. stuff. Once you have
> > mugshot membership for all users (and mugshot groups for each group) it
> > seems like some of the RSS feed stuff would magically fall into place on
> > its own.
>
> um, no.
>
> not mugshot, please.

I would say hold off on the Mugshot membership until we have solid
communities pre-defined and functional.  Throwing new members into
mugshot (as it currently is) is probably not the best idea; but I
definitely see much potential in setting up groups for Fedora projects/sigs.
Having groups that can be kept up to date in real time with the project
activity can be very powerful, but bombarding people with real time status
updates is only the first step; I feel that if we are going to take this
fedora+mugshot integration seriously, we need to make it simple for people
to wield mugshot to help drive fedora development.  Basic example:

    * Community hacker wants to help with the kernel, so he joins the
      'Fedora Kernel Team' on mugshot
    * He is then notified in real time of:
        - upstream news
        - bug activity (which he can interact with in real time (close/comment/push upsteram/etc))
        - code commits (with the ability to instantly grab patches, srpms, etc)
        - package updates (buttons to pull down rpm, say "works for me/b0rked", file bugs)
    * All notifications of course can then be discussed in real time
      with the people that are making them happen

This definitely adds more cohesion into the "classic" OSS development model (IRC +
mailing lists + bugzilla), and would help form sub-communities around
all different aspects of Fedora.  Karsten has jotted some notes about
Mugzilla[0] as well.

luke

[0]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KarstenWade/Drafts/Mugzilla