Miror management - downloads and users

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Feb 19 16:19:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 08:48:34AM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 08:15:44PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > seth vidal wrote:
> >

> > >those web page things work not at all with automatic downloading tools.
> > >For example: yum.
> >
> > They dont need to. Yum would continue to use whatever mirror management
> > it does. I am just talking about a web interface for ISO downloads.
> >

> > >how about we continue with what Matt Domsch has been working on and we
> > >evolve the set of data we have.
> >
> > Does it help collect more data than we already can?
>
> That's the goal.  One thing I'm adding is for the mirror admins to be
> able to upload their rsync/ftp/http logs back to our central database
> to be analyzed.

I don't think that will be easy. The larger mirrors which by
definition have more weight in statistics carry more than just
Fedora. And having them filter their logs for feedback is a cumbersome
step most mirror admins won't have time to do. So you'll lose the
bigger players.

I remember Bill asking on redhat-mirror-list-d for some sites to send
back statistics and the feedback was really close to nothing.

The method of redirects is IMHO the best metric gathering tool. It
just needs to stay out of the way, e.g. a broken redirector killing
all the mirrors simulaneously is A Bad Thing.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net