Wiki Upgrade

Jonathan Steffan jonathansteffan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 16:35:10 UTC 2007

Mike McGrath wrote:
> So for those wondering what I've done with the wiki upgrade, I've made
> a simple diagram.
Cool, what software did you use for the diagram?
>   As we get more hardware and resources you can see where we're headed
> as far as HA goes in our environment.  I'm still trying to acquire a
> NAS or SAN for us, this will make what we need to do much easier.
> Also at the application layer once we get in a Xen environment we can
> add and remove app servers easily without having to expand the number
> of proxy servers we have until they get overloaded.  I'm still
> experimenting with various things but right now app2 is our biggest
> SPOF[1] as it houses the wiki and shares it with app1.
>   The proxy servers are using mod-rewrite [P] to proxy services.

    * Which mod_cache are you using?
          o pro: mod_disk_cache is able to share cache among worker threads
            con: a response will not go out until the full response is
            written to disk
          o pro: mod_mem_cache is *fast*
            con: cache is not shared among workers
    * We should really be using squid.

>   Basically the load balancer balances between proxy[1-2] and each
> proxy in turn proxies to app[1-2].
What load balancer are we using?
>   Instead of proxy1 -> app1, proxy2 -> app2.  The proxy servers will
> also mount or contain copies of static content (like /extras, or
> favicon.ico)
>
> There are many tweaks to be made to make this useful and hands-off HA,
> but this is a good first step for us.  As always I'm interested in
> discussion so send it my way.
>
>    -Mike
>

> [1] Our load balancer may also be a SPOF, not sure.
Unless there are multiple paths, I would expect so also.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;fedoraproject.org.             IN      A
;; ANSWER SECTION:
fedoraproject.org.      959     IN      A       209.132.176.120

Looks to be the case, unless there is something at the network level.

So cool.

Jonathan