Wiki Upgrade

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Feb 23 16:41:34 UTC 2007

Jonathan Steffan wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
>> So for those wondering what I've done with the wiki upgrade, I've
>> made a simple diagram.
> Cool, what software did you use for the diagram?
dia
>>   As we get more hardware and resources you can see where we're
>> headed as far as HA goes in our environment.  I'm still trying to
>> acquire a NAS or SAN for us, this will make what we need to do much
>> easier.  Also at the application layer once we get in a Xen
>> environment we can add and remove app servers easily without having
>> to expand the number of proxy servers we have until they get
>> overloaded.  I'm still experimenting with various things but right
>> now app2 is our biggest SPOF[1] as it houses the wiki and shares it
>> with app1.
>>   The proxy servers are using mod-rewrite [P] to proxy services.
>
>     * Which mod_cache are you using?
>           o pro: mod_disk_cache is able to share cache among worker
>             threads
>             con: a response will not go out until the full response is
>             written to disk
>           o pro: mod_mem_cache is *fast*
>             con: cache is not shared among workers
>     * We should really be using squid.

We aren't caching anything at the moment as it was determined we
wouldn't gain anything by enabling caching.  Moin doesn't allow for
caching very well (See archives).  Regarding Squid, its great when you
experience performance problems.  We really aren't.  The biggest hit we
take right now is saving on the wiki and thats related to the way Moin
sends email out (It iterates over all of our users).  When we do start
using proxy caching for our other sites squid will be examined but I'm a
KISS guy when it comes to proxies.  The fact is right now we don't get
hit that hard except for on release day, and until moin better
implements a caching method.  We won't gain much from it.

    -Mike