Config stuff and glump (as my introduction)

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 3 03:26:08 UTC 2007

On 02/01/07, David Lutterkort <dlutter at redhat.com> wrote:
> There is absolutely no reason why a puppet user would need to know ruby
> - there are plenty of people who use puppet and have no ruby knowledge.

Sure, but I try to avoid using tools that I can't fix, especially
tools that are integral to the functioning of my systems. Especially
since it's the ONLY tool that requires ruby. On the other hand, I know
Python, and so does nearly every other person whom I'm likely to
consult if I have troubles with something. RHEL/Fedora use Python
extensively, and sometimes exclusively, so integrating a Python tool
with them would be very simple and straightforward. Many libraries
have bindings to Python -- very few have bindings to Ruby.

It doesn't make sense for me to rely on Ruby. Simple as that.

> As for having to learn another config language vs. extending glump: you
> can master puppet's language in a couple of hours or so. You would need
> to weigh that against how long it would take you to extend glump to do
> what you need it to do.

Yes, but at least it would be fun, considering I already did most of
the work with glump in the first place.

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev