FI Future

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 9 20:19:01 UTC 2007

On 1/9/07, Zarouali Rachid <rzarouali at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Having more Bittorrent seeds for the ISO downloads available on release
> > day.  This should make bittorrent a much more attractive download option
> > for users and should relieve the strain on the regular mirrors.  What
> > I'd suggest is that some trusted members of the community be set up with
> > early access to the bittorrent trackers so that they can get a local
> > copy of the ISOs and can then be seeds for the general public.  This
> > wouldn't need to be a long-term commitment of resources - perhaps 2-3
> > days before the release day, and then a week or so after release.

This is doable but will require a partner seeder and some
coordination.  We have in the past had issues actually getting the
initial media out to where it needs to go.

> > A few more secondary DNS servers for fedoraproject.org.   Again, I'm
> > sure that trusted members of the community would step up to provide the
> > secondary DNS servers.  Perhaps DNSSEC should be investigated to make
> > doubly sure that the DNS data isn't messed with.  Of course, this would
> > be a long-term committment but shouldn't be very resource-intensive.

We do have a primary and slave DNS server, the issue will be security.
 Who do we trust to do this, right now the primary is at Duke and the
backup is with Jesse Keating (f13).

> i'm working for the french cctld registry,
> maybe i can ask here if the two or only of these suggestions can be handle
> here
> mike ? what do you think ?

We can certainly look into that.  What would it take, what do we risk
and what do we gain?

      -Mike