FI Future

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Jan 9 21:12:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 06:46:51PM +0100, Zarouali Rachid wrote:
>      Having more Bittorrent seeds for the ISO downloads available on release
>      day.  This should make bittorrent a much more attractive download option
>      for users and should relieve the strain on the regular mirrors.  What
>      I'd suggest is that some trusted members of the community be set up with
>      early access to the bittorrent trackers so that they can get a local
>      copy of the ISOs and can then be seeds for the general public.  This
>      wouldn't need to be a long-term commitment of resources - perhaps 2-3
>      days before the release day, and then a week or so after release.

We can ask our normal mirrors if they would like to seed.  Would need
a little script they could run to hardlink the rsync trees into the
bittorrent trees so we don't pull it twice.

Seth, can we have a "private" tracker that is later made "public" ?
I'm not that familiar with bittorrent.  I suspect that's
security-through-obscurity though - anyone who finds the tracker could
hop on.

We do have 55 formal mirrors, each serving some subset of
{http,ftp,rsync}, and if have a sane embargo window of say 3 days,
that's sufficient to get all of those synced.  Any less time and we
cap out the master servers' bandwidths and not everyone gets synced
before the release.

If we're going to add early bittorrent seeders (e.g. not just the
above mirrors), they would need to have fairly significant bandwidth
at their disposal (e.g. larger than a DSL/Cable modem line).  And we
may need more embargo time to get them distributed.  Would be
interesting to try with say test2 and test3 rather than starting it
only at the final release.

Thanks,
Matt

--