updates tool

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 19:28:36 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to get up to speed with how the updates tool works and what it does.

I followed the instructions on this page http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/UpdatesSystem and downloaded the source from CVS.  After that I followed the instructions in the README to configure and install.  The README was very detailed and helpful!

Is there more documentation on how to use the tool now that I have it installed and greater context on how it all goes together?  The last part of the README says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Running the updates system test suite
=====================================

    All tests are stored in the 'tests' module in this project, and can be
    run by executing the command `nosetests` in top level of the project.

    For more information on Nose unit tests, please see:

            http://somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/

0) I confess I have limited knowledge of python and have never used 'nose.'

1) What is meant by a "project" when it says to execute the `nosetests` command in the top level of "the project?"

2) Is there a UI and if so how do I navigate to it?

Thanks,
John