Future plans of the hosting project

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jan 12 03:18:54 UTC 2007

As per the meeting, these are the things I think we need to do to further the
Fedora Hosted Project.

1) Move the hosted git/hg/svn off to another system.  Ideally we'd have a
dedicated system (perhaps in another colo) that is beefy enough to run a few
xen guests.  One for each SCM (so that sane configs can be done for web and
such), one for Trac itself, one for users to log in and fiddle with raw
webspace, and finally one to run apache and serve up the raw webspace.  The
same storage space could be used for all of these things, so that we don't
have to guess at disk size, just make directories and NFS mount them at
appropriate places in the guests.

2) Get raw webspace working.  Ideally there would be a guest that users log
into and be able to fiddle with content in a subdir of their homedir or
something.  Someway to keep folks locked out of eachother's webspaces and the
rest of the system would be good, maybe we have to limit ssh to just sftp and
scp and ssh rsync to begin with, dunno.  Another guest would actually serve
up the content so that no user could log into that box.  Some quotas would be
in effect to keep a luser from DoSing the box by running it out of space.
Raw webspace could be in the flavor of "projectname.hosted.fedoraproject.org"
for ease of name based virtual hosting.  Sourceforge does this too,
sf.net/projects/<projectname> for the sf interface, <projectname>.sf.net for
the webspace.  Seems to work fairly well.

3) A web tool for admins to create a new project space.  Would involve
  A) creating trac space and setting appropriate admin
  B) creating fedora account group for SCM repo
  C) creating SCM repo, setting permissions
  D) creating raw webspace and DNS hostname

And finally

4) some art love to create a nice template for Trac to use other than the
default Trac.  Something with Fedora branding and nice looking icons/colors
and all that fun stuff.  There could be room here for "powered by" type
images if some company steps up to donate the system/storage for this, as
well as a University logo should we get hosting from a Uni.

Wild ass guessing, I'd think that 1TB of storage would be more than plenty to
last us a while, for all of hosted SCM and webspace, and Trac data.
Eventually we could split things out like the raw webspace or SCMs or
whatever if something starts to eat more space.  As for a single box to run a
bunch of guests, I don't know how well this scales, would be worth testing I
guess.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora