Future plans of the hosting project

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 12 14:26:27 UTC 2007

On 1/11/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> As per the meeting, these are the things I think we need to do to further the
> Fedora Hosted Project.
>
> 1) Move the hosted git/hg/svn off to another system.  Ideally we'd have a
> dedicated system (perhaps in another colo) that is beefy enough to run a few
> xen guests.  One for each SCM (so that sane configs can be done for web and
> such), one for Trac itself, one for users to log in and fiddle with raw
> webspace, and finally one to run apache and serve up the raw webspace.  The
> same storage space could be used for all of these things, so that we don't
> have to guess at disk size, just make directories and NFS mount them at
> appropriate places in the guests.

I think this is doable but probably a mid to long term goal.  Perhaps
we should figure something out in the meantime so that when push comes
to shove we can actually say "we need to move this" if we don't find
any suiters out there to volunteer their facilities.

> 2) Get raw webspace working.  Ideally there would be a guest that users log
> into and be able to fiddle with content in a subdir of their homedir or
> something.  Someway to keep folks locked out of eachother's webspaces and the
> rest of the system would be good, maybe we have to limit ssh to just sftp and
> scp and ssh rsync to begin with, dunno.  Another guest would actually serve
> up the content so that no user could log into that box.  Some quotas would be
> in effect to keep a luser from DoSing the box by running it out of space.
> Raw webspace could be in the flavor of "projectname.hosted.fedoraproject.org"
> for ease of name based virtual hosting.  Sourceforge does this too,
> sf.net/projects/<projectname> for the sf interface, <projectname>.sf.net for
> the webspace.  Seems to work fairly well.

doable

> 3) A web tool for admins to create a new project space.  Would involve
>   A) creating trac space and setting appropriate admin
>   B) creating fedora account group for SCM repo
>   C) creating SCM repo, setting permissions
>   D) creating raw webspace and DNS hostname

I'd even be fine with this working similar to the extras branching
process though I know the idea is to let anyone go in there and do
whatever.  We'll end up with a lot of this kind of thing:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bwres/  (an early attempt at OSS from
me back in 2002.  haven't done anything with it :-(

> 4) some art love to create a nice template for Trac to use other than the
> default Trac.  Something with Fedora branding and nice looking icons/colors
> and all that fun stuff.  There could be room here for "powered by" type
> images if some company steps up to donate the system/storage for this, as
> well as a University logo should we get hosting from a Uni.

Up to the web folks.  I hear there's many people ready to help.  I've
been lazy about asking them for kid templates.

> Wild ass guessing, I'd think that 1TB of storage would be more than plenty to
> last us a while, for all of hosted SCM and webspace, and Trac data.
> Eventually we could split things out like the raw webspace or SCMs or
> whatever if something starts to eat more space.  As for a single box to run a
> bunch of guests, I don't know how well this scales, would be worth testing I
> guess.

If we do stick 1TB somewhere non-phx, we'll need a backup solution.
Probably on site.

          -Mike