Yum deltarpm

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 17:28:41 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 10:10 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On 1/12/07, Ahmed Kamal <email.ahmedkamal at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Benefits:
> > =======
> > 1- Clients download faster updates. The README says drpm based update
> > infrastructure can reduce required bandwidth to about 20% on the average
> > 2- Also, from the server side, this should decrease our bandwidth
> > requirements, and free the servers quickly to handle other users
> >

> Anything that makes the end user experience better sounds good to me.
> My questions are, what does it take on our end?  And does it require
> the mirrors to be altered in any way?

Is the 20% for something that applies to the rpms or something that
applies directly to the filesystem?  I'm not too keen on the filesystem
approach although I hear it can really improve the speed.  Patching the
rpms would be nice... but does require keeping old versions of the rpms
on the end-user's disk.

-Toshio