Yum deltarpm

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Sat Jan 13 20:06:00 UTC 2007

On Saturday 13 January 2007 12:40 pm, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> FYI, this yum deltarpm support, is based on that same deltarpm package that
> is made by suse. This suse package can create new rpms from drpm + (either
> ondisk files, or old rpm). Either way, a new rpm is created, then
> installed. Never does it replace files directly. Not sure why this would be
> bad security wise

I personally don't like the idea of binary delta's  there are too many
variables  with them and too much overhead.    for instance say we update
cups 4 times during the  life of a release.  that means we need to create 4
delta's  as the end user can have 4 possible states of the package.

Windows has always done  delta's  and for the longest time they only provided
delta's from  the latest version.  which is the reason you had to update a
ton of times to get to the latest version.  that has changed but its not
http://www.directionsonmicrosoft.com/sample/DOMIS/update/2005/02feb/0205fsuttc.htm

Apple also provides delta's  but they do only deltas from the previous version
to latest  if you  you have an older version you have to get the full
version.

most packages are so small that i don't think the overhead is worth the pain.
OOo and a couple of others i could see maybe,  but otherwise I personally
don't think its a good idea.  It means mirrors need to carry more data.
--
Dennis Gilmore, RHCE
Proud Australian