Yum deltarpm

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 21:46:45 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 20:40 +0200, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> FYI, this yum deltarpm support, is based on that same deltarpm package
> that is made by suse. This suse package can create new rpms from drpm
> + (either ondisk files, or old rpm). Either way, a new rpm is created,
> then installed. Never does it replace files directly. Not sure why
> this would be bad security wise

It's the construction of the rpm from ondisk files that I don't like.
You lose the ability to sign the rpm that you're installing.  Patching
an older rpm is a safer transformation.

I just googled and found an August post to yum-devel about what I think
is this plugin:

https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum-devel/2006-August/002385.html

Is this right?  Is there more recent code?  It looks like that code is
tied into up2date so it wouldn't help Fedora users much.  It also needs
a server side which implies the mirrors would have to run additional
software to make it functional....

-Toshio