Official mirror requirements

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Jan 23 17:41:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 10:27:34AM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On 12/27/06, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >What are the requirements other than bandwidth for the official mirrors
> >listed at http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/mirrors.html. In particular
> >do we require them to carry the complete copy including source images
> >and packages? If not we should probably enforce that or list the mirrors
> >which only have binary packages as partial mirrors. We can run some
> >routine checks in a period basis automatically to cross verify this.
> >
> >Rahul
> >

> I don't think there are bandwith requirements though we do regularly
> test the mirrors and if they are overloaded would time out.  I think
> they can be somewhat selective (as in not a full copy of all of
> rawhide, testing, updates, etc) though it should be a requirement.
>
> We're currently re-writing a new mirror system that can address some
> of this stuff.  But monitoring an entire mirror is difficult because
> you'd basically have to download it and md5sum everything which is
> horribly inefficient.  Our checks are much simpler right now.

I'm working on it... :-)

We don't force everyone to carry everything.  Most folks don't carry
Extras right now.  Most folks carry only i386 and x86_64.  A few only
carry updates.  And *everyone* uses a different URL to get to their
content.  Maintaining it manually is impossible anymore - hence the
need for some software.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/MirrorManagement for
what I've got in mind, a little of which already works.

-Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Software Architect