Official mirror requirements

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Jan 23 18:07:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 11:24:36PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Matt Domsch wrote:
>
> >I'm working on it... :-)
> >
> >We don't force everyone to carry everything.  Most folks don't carry
> >Extras right now.  Most folks carry only i386 and x86_64.  A few only
> >carry updates.  And *everyone* uses a different URL to get to their
> >content.  Maintaining it manually is impossible anymore - hence the
> >need for some software.
> >
> >See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/MirrorManagement for
> >what I've got in mind, a little of which already works.
> >

> Thanks. The original mail was send by me long back before I subscribed
> to this list and has been struck on the moderation queue for a while I
> guess. I did find this page and added a note on source packages. It
> would very useful if the individual mirrors had a note clearly marking
> the type of access (http/ftp/rynsc), repositories (core/extras),
> architecture, source and binary packages and other details so users can
> quickly understand which mirror carry the content they want and how to
> access them.

Absolutely.  And GeoIP, and ...

The current mirror list is a mess.  There are folks on it that aren't
mirrors anymore.  Some of the URLs are wrong.  I bet it's missing some
mirrors too.  It really only lists Core, not Extras or anything else.
When a release happens, everyone manually sends a "I'm synced" message
which someone has to collect and include in the release announcement.
All in all, a good opportunity for some nice software.

Turns out, Debian's got something, though I haven't found the source
for it yet.  But they do a lot of what we would want, plus
ftp.<country>.debian.org DNS maintenance which we don't have to do
right now because we're using GeoIP to build the per-country yum lists.

--
Matt Domsch
Software Architect