rawhide rebuilds on ppc?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Jan 31 04:04:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 05:44:26PM -0800, Ask Bj?rn Hansen wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2007, at 15:05, Matt Domsch wrote:
>
> What kind of maintenance does the build system require?  I have a
> currently unused Xserve G4 that I could install Linux ppc on.

It took just a little tweaking after not touching it since FC6's
release.  Mostly code cleanups to deal with the fact that my mock
config files are named 'fedora-devel-i386-core.cfg' yet they cause
directories named 'fedora-development-i386-core' to get created in
various places. :-)  The whole system is just a set of shell scripts
that essentially do:
  for each SRPM in rawhide:
     setarch i386 mock ...
     mock ....
     if successful, generate some logs
  generate stats
  rsync to a web server
  send email

I tried to abstract out things like "directory where SRPMS live" and
"what arches should I build for" into shell variables, but I very much
expect to have the whole rawhide tree NFS-mounted.  Would take some
work to use remote repos instead.    Something like 20 invocations of
ls or find on various parts at various times.

It took ~60 hours to build core+extras, i386 and x86_64, on 4
dual-socket dual-core servers with 2-4GB RAM each and 2.8-3.6GHz
Xeons.  Would presumably take nearly a week on a single ppc at first,
and a few hours the daily runs which are just incremental.

--
Matt Domsch
Software Architect