DB1 upgrade

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 15:22:28 UTC 2007

The db1 upgrade is going to happen soon.  I'd like to do it next monday
(one week from today).  I'll be scheduling an outage for Monday night.
I'd like for everyone who can be around, to be around at that time.
Also keep a special eye out the next day for any oddities.  The basic
premise is this:

1) Turn off postgres and mysql on db1
2) Run a dump of both db's
3) import both db's to db2
4) test
5) point all of our applications at db2
6) Wait a week or two then rebuild db1
7) Schedule another outage, move the postgres db back to db1.

We'll let it run of db2 for a week or two then rebuild db1.  Once both
boxes are at the same package level we'll migrate the postgres db back
to db1.  Both databases will have mysql and postgres installed but db1
will be running postgres and db2 will be running MySQL.  Each will have
a regular job to dump and copy their db to the other.  This gives us
dedicated resources as well as a quick recovery in the event of some
catastrophic failure of one of them.

Any questions?

    -Mike