fedorapeople.org

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sun Jul 8 00:48:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 19:37 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> > > git would be nice, with the git server setup so that people can easily
> > > sync up a git repo to there or push via ssh to there and other people can
> > > get to it with git://
> > >
> > > Hg is harder and maybe not possible.
> >
> > Isn't the above what rsync is for?
>
> For getting content onto the system that's one rather inefficient way for
> scms.  Since git/hg can both work over ssh, it's /far/ more efficient and
> easy to just push via ssh to a directory in your webspace.  For other users
> to then get access to the files, rsync does not work.  You'll want http
> access, and really preferably git:// access for the git stuff.

What do you think this is for? You rsync to put your files up and the
whole world can access them via http. this is just VERY SIMPLE web page
hosting.

> > I guess I'm inclined to not have any
> > scm - this is just a big box which serves files, statically, and does
> > not open us up to that many attack vectors.
>
> More and more the stuff I find myself chucking at public web space is not
> patches, but clones of distributed scm repos with my changes applied so that
> the upstream can just pull from my repo instead of doing a patch dance.  If
> we're going to provide a service, lets try to make it as useful as possible.
> Note that none of the above should require the ability to actually log into
> the box, just access it remotely.

yes- and from what I've seen from git and hg there is no requirement of
their cgi to make them work. Just an http server, which we have.

Jesse,
 login to people.fedoraproject.org as yourself - you're in sysadmin-main
or web so you're covered by the folks currently allowed to login. make a
public_html dir in your home dir and then go to
jkeating.fedorapeople.org

I think you'll find it does what you need.

-sv