Moin-1.6.0a

Paulo Santos santosp at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jul 28 11:39:57 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

I started working on ticket #77 (Moin1.6 related), and while searching for
the current additions to the wiki, i came across with this:

New Features:
    * Added Xapian (see http://xapian.org/) based indexed search code.
      To use this:
      * Install xapian-core and xapian-bindings on your machine.
        We used 0.9.4, but newer code should hopefully work, too.
      * cfg.xapian_search = True
      * Execute this to build the index:
        $ moin ... index build   # indexes pages and attachments
        $ moin ... index build --files=files.lst  # same plus a list of files
        You should run those commands as the same user you use for your wiki,
        usually this is the webserver userid, e.g.:
        $ sudo -u www-data moin --config=... --wiki-url=wiki.example.org/ \
               index build --files=files.lst
    * New searches:
        - LanguageSearch: language:de
        - CategorySearch: category:Homepage
        - MimetypeSearch: mimetype:image/png (for attachments/files)
        - DomainSearch: domain:underlay or domain:standard
        - History Search: available in advanced ui
      Note: Some currently only available when Xapian is used
    * New config options:
        xapian_search        0      enables xapian-powered search
        xapian_index_dir     None   directory for xapian indices
                                    (can be shared for wiki farms)
        xapian_stemming      1      toggles usage of stemmer, fallback
                                    to False if no stemmer installed
        search_results_per_page 10  determines how many hits should be
                                    shown on a fullsearch action
        xapian_index_history False  indexes all revisions of pages to
                                    allow searching in their history

Do we want to try this ? if so it needs to be packaged and added to extras.
According to xapian.org download page "Fabrice Colin has built RPM packages
for Fedora Core 6 <http://xapian.org/RPM/fc6/> - there are binary packages
(for i386, x86_64, and ppc) and source RPMs.", but since its not on our
repos, i prefer not to use it until so.

Also i've created a page in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/MoinDev so that we can keep
track of our work, and requests that other teams might have.

Thanks,
Paulo