Upgrade metrics

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 13:54:53 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to create some relative metrics of release upgrades,
> e.g. FC5 -> FC6, FC5 -> F7?

We didn't really start taking metrics until FC6.
> The interesting part is to create a graph over time to answer the
> question whether the 13 month EOL is really paying off. And perhaps on
> base of that graph one could revise this decision. At the very leats
> it would be interesting to notice the upgrade behaviour of Fedora
> users.
>
> I have no idea how to do that other than marking the HTTP Agent of yum
> on F<N> accordingly, as well as the HTTP Agent in anaconda's yum
> (noting fresh installs vs upgrades). Worth to add this for F8?

So here's a graph of the smolt vs yum ip stuff:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/cacti/graph.php?action=view&rra_id=all&local_graph_id=253

The problem with the smolt numbers is that anyone doing kickstarts,
installing via runlevel 3, yum upgrades or anaconda upgrades will never
get prompted to enable smolt and there are privacy concerns just
enabling it by default.  So I think the only way we can do it is start
to seed people now, get the word out about smolt, and start monitoring
upgrades from F7 to F8 and so on.

Adding a query string or changing the http agent on yum could also be
useful.  It did just dawn on me that I've stopped monitoring FC6 yum
connections and perhaps I should re-enable it.  The scary thing is I
still regularly get requests regarding Fedora Core 1!!  (we moved it
from the primary mirror to
http://archives.fedoraproject.org/fedora/linux/core/1/ and that brought
some people out of the woodwork)

I'm always open to suggestions for changes to smolt or our yum method.

    -Mike