Upgrade metrics

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 18:38:29 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 18:29 +0200, Paulo Santos wrote:

> Something like:
> - "New survey is available"
> - you click in it, do the survey and send it with the profile, it
> would also be nice to have a checkbox to disable the announcements.

That's a good idea.  I always worried about how to handle surveys on the
client side because that's where the data is.  But if you connect it to
the smolt data on the server then you can measure based off that.

The thing about surveys, though, is that they are connected to the
current revisions of some of the software on the machine and not
connected to the hardware profile.  More the combination, and they
change over time.  What we want to be able to do is measure the
experience with that combination and then measure our improvements over
time.

I get the impression that there's a one to one mapping from the hardware
profile to UUID and that you can change the entire profile and the old
data that was in there was lost.  (Strangely enough when I looked up my
UUID for this machine it was clearly someone else's machine.  I ran
smolt and stepped on it.  I was a little surprised that we had a
collision there.)

--Chris