Our SCM

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 15:16:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 19:11 +0530, Anand Capur wrote:
> > Before you guys descend into a discussion of specific SCMs can you talk
> > about what the goals are for what you want to do?  Mike touched on them
> > but I think that it needs more discussion before you talk about what you
> > love/hate about specific tools.
> >
> > --Chris
> I'm sure mike will say more, but here.
>     * Unix accounts or certificate based authentication
>     * Access Control Lists of per-package per-branch granularity
>           o Ideally this means per-directory ACL's
>     * ACLs will allow view and commit access to select contributors.
>           o Embargo branches should be on the same server as the
> normal branches. This is necessary to allow certain upstream
> developers to work in cooperation with Fedora maintainers.
>           o We need to scale up to hundreds of branches per package in
> the long run.
>           o Some package/branches would be read-only to most users.
>           o Other package/branches need to be completely hidden from
> most users.
>     * E-mail notification when changes occur. These notifications must
> be sent from the server, and it must be not possible for users to
> bypass.
>     * Distributed SCM allows easy sub-collections of the distribution
> to be built and tested independently, then the bulk be easily merged
> back while minimizing effort.
>     * Translations for core packages are right now implemented via
> cvs.fedora.redhat.com and tied to CVS. More longterm they might also
> benefit from a more modern version control system.
>
> Highly Desirable Abilities:
>
>     * Ability to check out only a portion of the tree in order to work
> on only a package, instead of the entire tree.

Unless I totally misread Mike's initial post, this is not about the
Packaging SCM but about what SCM we might want for our own projects.  In
particular, the small projects of a few files each that don't make sense
on hosted.

Notificationis a high level goal that we would want.  But the rest of
these goals are more specific to the packaging SCM.

-Toshio