Our SCM

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 23:40:11 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 16:06 -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> > seth vidal wrote:
> > > So I was wondering if it might be possible to reverse the model a bit.
> > > Why not make it so our buildsys and related pieces can easily pull from
> > > upstream's scm's.
> >
> > This seems to be the best way to take advantage of distributed SCM's to
> > me, and it allows for having one less resource to manage (i.e. Fedora
> > CVS).   Right now, I find Fedora CVS a bit annoying as, well, it means
> > using yet-another-version control repository -- and lots of seperate
> > checkins when I want to push content to 3 seperate repos.
> >
> > However it does rely on the accessibility of those upstream repos.
> > Shouldn't be a major issue.  If it's down, no updates.
>
> but things can go away 'forever' and we still want them around.
>
> It seems like no matter which way I turn this around in my head we end
> up having to have a complete copy of everything in fedora's pkg vcs to
> reliably do what we need to do. Not to mention the issues of firewalls
> and the buildsys talking to hosts in $not_okay_countries.
>
> In short, we have to have everything local otherwise we'll be exchanging
> one set of problems for larger, more intractable ones. (ie: legal ones
> and general confusion-of-location)

Yeah... I kept running into issues like:

Upstream changes SCM (often)
Upstream forks..
No SCM         (Tarballs baby... just like our lord  Volkerding wants)
No sane SCM (Distributed SCCS)
No open/usable SCM (Distributed SCCS using bittorrent)
Legal fork issues (mp3 code, patented one-clikc method, etc :)
CLA issues (there has got to be someway the CLA will get in the way
somewhere :)).

With a couple hundred packages this might be surmountable.. with tens
of thousands of packages?

Maybe we can get our new Google Overlords to solve this problem with
Google Forge?